Copper is one of the oldest known metals to be used on this planet. Stories of copper jewelry for healing or protection have been around for centuries and are still being told today. Although science cannot prove the claims, some people say that copper jewelry has helped them. It is not dangerous to wear copper jewelry and it is beautiful as well. It may be worth a try!
Fun Facts About Copper:
There are different ways copper is found in nature. Copper is mainly found mixed in with other rocks. At times copper mixes with other elements and forms into gemstones. If copper is found alone- without having combined with anything, it is said to be 100% naturally pure and is called Native Copper. Aboriginal people of Upper Michigan (USA) found raw copper there and began making copper tools, jewelry and utensils with it; dating back to 3000BC.
“Native copper is found only in small quantities throughout the world, but there are a few areas that are rich in findings, such as the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan. Well crystallized specimens are not common, and are very much sought after. The interlocking Copper and Silver masses that are commonly found in the Keweenaw Peninsula are known as "Halfbreeds".”
- Taken from: http://www.minerals.net/mineral/copper.aspx#sthash.88z1zjid.dpuf
Native Copper was also found on the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea. The usage there dates back to 4000BC. Copper is named after this location.
“From Greek "kyprios", of Cyprus, the location of ancient copper mines; Latin "cuprum".”
Other mythical beliefs about copper are that it corresponds with the planet Venus and of a feminine nature of artistry and emotion. For more info on metal mythology go to: THIS SITE
“Does the human body need copper?”
YES! Copper is an essential trace mineral that cannot be formed by the human body. It must be ingested from dietary sources. Wikipedia says: “Copper is an essential trace element that is vital to the health of all living things (humans, plants, animals, and microorganisms). In humans, copper is essential to the proper functioning of organs and metabolic processes. The human body has complex homeostatic mechanisms which attempt to ensure a constant supply of available copper, while eliminating excess copper whenever this occurs. However, like all essential elements and nutrients, too much or too little nutritional ingestion of copper can result in a corresponding condition of copper excess or deficiency in the body, each of which has its own unique set of adverse health effects.”
“What foods have copper in them?”
Dietary copper can be found in whole grain cereals, legumes, oysters, organ meats (particularly liver), cherries, dark chocolate, fruits, leafy green vegetables, nuts, poultry, prunes, and soybeans products like tofu. As a natural element in the earth's crust, copper exists in most of the world's surface water and groundwater, although the actual concentration of copper in natural waters varies geographically. Drinking water can comprise 20-25% of dietary copper. The amount of copper absorbed can sometimes be less than what is ingested depending on intestinal health.
“Is copper hypo-allergenic”
Yes. For most people copper does not cause any allergic reactions. Copper is a noble metal, just like gold and silver. For some people, they may have a dermal (skin) allergic reaction to copper, but this is rarer. Bronze and Brass are alloys (combos) of copper+ tin or copper+nickel etc….people that are sensitive to nickel (which is a higher percentage of people) may want to watch out for these other metals in their jewelry. Some Brass is made from copper+ zinc which is generally hypo-allergic and safe.
“I have heard copper is dangerous,
is copper jewelry safe to wear?”
The dangers of copper are NOT related to tactile- skin to surface type of exposure. It is not dangerous to touch copper under normal conditions. You cannot get an over dose of copper by wearing copper jewelry. The danger is in ingesting too much copper- whether through water or food, or breathing in copper dust, fumes or soldering gases.
" Are Gemstones that contain copper safe to wear?"
Yes. Wearing gemstones that have copper in them are safe to wear. The same rules of wearing copper on your skin apply to copper containing gems. Some stones that bear copper are: Turquoise, Malachite and Azurite.
"With regard to minerals, there are about 160 different ones that contain copper. Indeed, there are also various gemstone-grade minerals to choose from. They include malachite, azurite, turquoise, chrysocolla chalcedony, quartz, larimar, Oregon sunstone and, of course, Paraiba tourmaline."
“Is copper antibacterial?”
Yes. Copper is anti-microbial. Having copper pipes may be helping clean your water of bacteria! In days of old, water vessels made of copper and copper alloys ( brass and bronze), kept water clean and killed bacteria. The danger of copper over dose from a copper water vessel is much less than the danger of getting sick from bad water. Plus, remember, our bodies can detox normal amounts of copper. (Silver is also anti-bacterial.) We need copper to be healthy and kill bacteria, but too much ingestion of copper can over load our bodies. Balance is key.
“Will I absorb copper into my body by
wearing copper jewelry?”
Scientifically Unknown. If so, it is very little. There have not been conclusive studies done on this. Most sites on the internet say no, a person cannot absorb copper by wearing copper jewelry. Scientists may say that in order to absorb copper from the skin it has to be combined with a peptide. Some websites say if your body needs the copper it will take it and if it doesn’t it won’t absorb any. But the actual process of the absorption of copper in copper jewelry via skin contact remains a mystery if there is any happening.
“Won’t copper make my skin turn green?”
Every one has different a body chemistry, and some are more prone to having green skin than others. Some believe that if you eat enough vegetables and healthy foods, your body will not be so acidic-as to make the copper rub off green on you. When copper comes into contact with skin and sweat, it can sometimes form a green deposit on skin caused by chelates being absorbed by the skin. This is a normal process and completely harmless. If you would like to clean it off, use regular soap and water or lemon juice. Avoid wearing your copper jewelry while swimming and cleaning to increase its lifespan. Here are some tips to prevent the green mark if you don’t want it: don’t wear copper when you are working out or in sweat inducing weather; don’t sleep with copper on since it can get trapped in moisture- give it room to breathe! Sometimes if you leave the green mark, it will absorb into your skin. Certain people that love copper say that “you know the copper is working if you get a green mark”. Some people also say that if you get enough vitamin D your bracelet will NOT leave a green mark.
“Will my copper jewelry develop a green patina?”
Not likely. It takes years and years (10-50yrs) and it requires outdoor elements in order to get a green patina. If you wear your jewelry everyday and maintain it, your copper should never get a patina.
“Is a verdigris (green) patina dangerous?”
Yes, but mostly for the dangers of inhalation and ingestion because it is a green dust. It is not recommended to wear jewelry with a raw (unsealed) patina on it. Some jewelry designers create a patina with acid and then coat the jewelry with a special protective wax or polyurethane- like Renaissance Wax. This seals the patina in and protects you from breathing it or the dust going where it shouldn’t.
“How do I maintain my copper jewelry?”
Just wear as normal and polish occasionally. It may tarnish over time, but this can be enjoyed as a part of the living beauty of wearing a noble metal. If you give it air and a rinse with water as you go about your daily life, it should maintain itself just fine. Showering with your copper jewelry on or letting some soap and water get on your copper bracelet as you wash your hands- will wash off any acidic oils, sweat or moisture that has been sitting on the copper (which is the requirement for a patina)- this maintains your copper. You can make your copper shiny again by sprinkling the cut side of a lemon half with coarse salt, then rub the salted lemon wedge over the copper, which will soon gleam! If you plan on not wearing your copper jewelry for a while, store in a ziplock baggie or air tight container.
"Does Copper Help with EMF Protection?"
Just like other metals and gemstones, Copper can resonate with your own body’s natural frequency to help build up your own defense against EMF. Wearing Copper is not going to eliminate or shield the EMF that is around you. But it is a conductive material and we are electrical beings. This may possibly be a reason why people with hand, arm and bone pain are helped when wearing copper bracelets (besides possible absorption). My thoughts are that the conductive pull of the bracelet directs the bodies magnetic field to where the bracelet is worn. Once there is electricity going to where the pain is, then healing can occur. If the pain is in the hands, the bracelet draws the charge there. Also, energy/electricity flowing to the wrist may help spread the healing charge throughout the body since six main meridians go through the wrist: Heart, Lung, Small Intestine, Large Intestine, Pericardium, and San Jiao.
I’ve also read of copper wearing people having better moods and being happier.
This information is not intended to diagnose, prescribe or claim to cure anything. This information is a collection of data gathered on the internet and my own thoughts, speculations and conclusions.